Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Returning to Life as a Farmer

A year ago my partner and I moved from the Oakland Hills in Northern California to the Austin Texas area and purchased a fourteen acre farm near Manor. We had each had eras in our lives when we lived in rural farming settings and found ourselves yearning to reconnect with some of our earliest roots. When I was a kid I could hardly wait to get off the farm and experience an imagined, exciting life in the big city where all of my dreams would be attainable. Ten years in Hollywood and another twenty in Northern California, along with the changing priorities, and re-evaluating that occur with aging, I longed to surround myself with other four legged and two legged feathered beings. In cities Mother Earth is not as easily accessible, it takes forethought, desire, time, and travel in order to continue feeling connected to the source of all life. As the Universe often opens doors unexpectedly for new opportunities when AT&T laid off twenty-seven thousand employees on one day, we found ourselves, yet again, facing the prospect and trepidation that accompanies the need for change. We chose to move to a state that many Californians hold with disdain, to be nearer to family and to build a new dream, to become more self-sustained on a farm, which could hardly be conceived as financially attainable in the over-priced and overvalued California real estate market. Our home, blessedly sold after ten short days on the market, yet another sign from the Universe and we packed up some of our belongings and our family of Silken Windhounds and caravanned to Texas. I had to leave the clinical internship that I so loved, working with the elderly in a residential care facility as a psychologist but I was also aware that moving forward and ahead would be very therapeutic and healing for me. As scary as change may be once it is embraced it can be very stimulating and invigorating going through the process.
Have you experienced the positive aspects and aftermaths that can occur through challenging changes? Please share with us.
Blessed be,
Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment